If you are working on a DIY project, that means you are having some fun. But if you want to build furniture for your home, you need to know what you are doing and take the work seriously as you want to build the best furniture for your home. Otherwise, you may get hurt, and you cannot complete the project.
Cut steel pipe or metal piece is a crucial step in these DIY projects. With some essential steps and the right tools, you can cut a metal pipe or a steel pipe at your home. So in this article, we will discuss three methods that will help you to cut a steel pipe.
What can I use to cut a metal pipe?
Heavy-duty steel pipe and tube cutters are usually the easiest to use, but an angle grinder or reciprocating saw may be needed for tight spaces. When using a metal pipe cutter, align the tool around the marked place on the galvanized pipe and rotate so that the wheel cuts more profound into the pipe until severed.
What is the best tool for cutting steel?
There are so many tools to cut steel. Some of them are:
- Hack saw
- Tin snips
- Metal air shears
- Angle grinder with a cut off wheel
- Cold saw
- Circular saw, or metal circular saw
- Band saw
- Oxy Acetylene torch
But before using any of these tools, make sure you are prepared well with safety precautions.
What tool can be used to cut pipes?
You can use a pipe cutter to cut pipes. A pipe cutter is a type of tool used by plumbers to cut pipes. Besides producing a clean cut, the tool is often a faster, cleaner, and more convenient way of cutting pipe than using a hacksaw, although this depends on the pipe’s metal. There are two types of pipe cutters.
How do you cut old steel plumbing pipes?
- Use a standard tubing cutter to cut copper pipe.
- Tighten the cutter so that its blade scores the pipe.
Rotate the cutter around the pipe.
- Slightly tighten the cutter and rotate it around the pipe several times.
Repeat until the blade severs the pipe.
- Cut steel pipe with a hacksaw, reciprocating saw, or use a steel-pipe tubing cutter.
It works similarly to the copper-tubing cutter.
- Saw through plastic PVC pipe with carpenter’s handsaw, hacksaw, or use PVC pipe hand saw.
- Plastic pipe can also be cut with a ratcheting PVC cutter.
Ratchet the top handle up and down until the blade slices through the pipe.
- To cut PVC pipe below the floor’s surface, use a unique PVC blade mounted in a drill.
Run the blade around the inside of the pipe.
- Flexible PEX is easily cut with a specially made PEX tubing cutter.
- To use a cast-iron pipe cutter, start by slipping the cutting chain around the pipe.
- Hook the chain onto the jaw, then ratchet the handle back and forth to snap the pipe in two.
How to cut galvanized steel pipe?
There are so many ways to cut a galvanized steel pipe. Some of them are reciprocating saws or using a pipe cutter.
Using a reciprocating saw – Cutting steel pipe.
- First, install a six-inch metal cutting blade to a reciprocating saw.
- Hold the saw in contact with the pipe so that the blade extends the pipe. This will help you to reduce the vibrations caused during cutting.
- Use forward pressure while the saw is in operation. You may have to change the saw’s orientation to ensure that the saw does not hit the wall.
- Stop the saw before you finish cutting. Now bend the pipe to create a gap and to prevent the saw from binding.
- Now saw in the same direction until you finished the cut.
Using a pipe cutter – Cutting metal pipe.
- First, tighten the pipe cutter by placing it between the pipe. Rotate the screw in a clockwise direction to tight the pipe cutter and make sure that the pipe cutter fits perfectly.
- Now rotate the pipe cutter around the pipe and tighten the gear a little when it reaches the starting position.
- Continue to rotate the pipe cutter until you complete the cut. It will take ten to fifteen turns to cut the pipe.
How to cut steel pipe?
Here we are using some tools to cut the steel pipes or metal pipes. Follow the same steps mentioned here.
Using tube cutting tool – The best way to cut metal
This is a tool that will give you accurate and precise cuts. This tool is best used when you want to cut a new steel pipe or a metal pipe. Make sure to use protective gear before cutting with the tube cutting tool. This tool only helps you to cut the pipes. So please don’t invest in it unless you cut a large number of pipes daily.
- Before cutting the pipe with a tube cutting tool, make sure to take accurate measurements.
- Now place the pipe cutting tool and tight it.
- This tool has two rollers and a cutting wheel. These three will move around the pipe and make accurate cuts.
- Now, after cutting the pipe, you need to smooth the edges by using a file.
Using an angle grinder – Pipe angle cutter
This is a powerful tool that is used to cut the old pipes in tight spaces. Be careful to use goggles and gloves before using this tool.
- The first and critical step is to gather all your safety gear.
- Now take measurements and mark where you want to cut the pipe.
- Now switch on the angle grinder. Give the angle grinder some time to speed up the blades. If you cut at a slow speed, you cannot make accurate cuts. So after the blade has reached the desired speed, start cutting the pipe.
- That’s all. You now have cut the pipe smoothly.
Using a hacksaw – Pipe cut
This is the cheapest option to cut a steel pipe or a metal pipe. But this is not always the best option. If you already have a hacksaw blade in your toolbox, there is no need to rent or buy the tools, as mentioned earlier. But you need to be patient and apply gentle pressure to cut the metal pipe.
- The first and essential step is to secure your pipe. This is because the sawing motion will move the pipe during the process of cutting. So make sure you gave some support to the other end of the pipe.
- Hacksaw takes a longer time to cut the metal pipes. So it would be best if you were patient until you complete the cut. Don’t apply a lot of pressure on the hacksaw or the pipe to cut fastly. Give only a gentle or light pressure to make the cuts. If you give more pressure, then you won’t get accurate cuts.
- After the cutting is completed, take a file and smooth the edges as cutting with a hacksaw gives you rough edges.
What to think before cutting a metal pipe?
Before cutting a metal pipe, there are few elements to think about. They are:
First, think about the project, like what you are planning to make, and measure the length you want to cut.
Make sure to have all the tools needed to cut the metal pipe or steel pipe. It is easy to cut the pipe with the right tools. If you don’t have the right tools, then it becomes difficult to cut.
It would be best if you took all the safety precautions before starting the cutting process. If you do not take any safety precautions, then there are high chances of getting injured. Always use gloves and goggles.
This is also another essential item to think about before starting the project. You need to think about the budget of the project. If you are working with a limited budget, you need to think twice before purchasing the project’s materials. To save money, you can use pre-cut pipes.
This is also another essential aspect of doing any project. You need to think about how much time I need to spend on this project, and if I use a pre-cut, it will save my time. Think like this. If you use a pre-cut pipe, then it will surely save your time.
These are the methods and tools used for cutting a metal pipe or a steel pipe. Before cutting a metal pipe or a stainless steel pipe, make sure to follow all the safety precautions to get rid of hurting yourself. Otherwise, it will cause severe damage or injury to the property you are working on or yourself.