No doubt. paint stainless steel materials are durable and robust materials. But if you use these stainless steel substances for a short time, they will lose their industrial properties. Luckily you can again make it Hitech by bringing the texture and color back. You can do this by using oil-based paints. But before applying oil-based paint to the cabinets and countertops, you need to clean the entire surface. Also, you need to prepare some tools and materials for your work. You can use a brush or a sprayer, or a roller based on your choice and taste.
Tools and materials required
- Drop cloths
- Protective goggles
- Orbital sanders
- Ammonia-based degreaser
- Metal primer
- Marine varnish
- Paint sprayer
- Plastic sheeting
- Wire brush
- Water-based degreaser
- Stainless steel cleaner
- Oil-based paint
- Buffing cloth
- Paint respirator
Painting stainless steel
Follow the steps mentioned here to paint the stainless steel.
Step 1: Steel painted
Protect floors, nearby furniture, and walls using plastic sheets or drop cloths if you are using a sprayer. Remove the hinges, draw pulls, and other hardware items from that place. Also, tape the areas where you want it to paint-free.
Step 2: Spray paint stainless steel.
Unlike porous surfaces such as wood, stainless steel surfaces need a little more abrasive to bond with the paint you applied. If you have used your stainless steel material for many years, then the surface will be rough, and the paint will stick to the surface. If you want to coat it on the new stainless steel material, then you need certain roughness. To get the roughness to go to the home depot store and rent one hand sander.
Now put on protective goggles and apply some pressure on the surface to make it rough. Tackle every inch of the surface and for best results, stop periodically and wipe off the dust. For many years, if you have used the stainless steel material, scour it using a wire brush or steel wool to attain some roughness.
Step 3: Paint for stainless steel.
Clean the surface thoroughly by using a water-based degreaser. The water-based degreaser will remove all the fingerprints, oil, grease, soap, wax, sand, and lotions. If you want to remove baked cooking grease, then you need to use an ammonia-based degreaser. You can get these from local home depot stores or purchase them online. Dry them.
Step 4: Stainless steel primer
Apply a high-quality primer that is compatible with your color of paint. If your product is very dark in color, then using a white primer is the best option. Apply the primer by using a brush or sprayer, or roller and let it dry completely.
Step 5: Stainless steel spray paint
Decide what effect you need on the product. If you use a brush, then you will get a ridged texture look. Then you can use a sponge to make it smooth. You can use a roller for large surfaces. This will create a somewhat textured look. If you want a smooth finish, then you need to use a sprayer.
Step 6: Stainless steel varnish
After the completion of the final coat, dry it thoroughly. After it is dried, please give it a finish by using wax or marine varnish. If you want to give a natural sheen to the surface, then take a sponge and apply the wax to the surface. Let it dry until it gets a hazy look. Now buff it with a clean or dry cloth. If you want a clear finish, then use marine varnish.
When using a sprayer
- Protect the surrounding areas by using clothes or plastic sheets.
- If you are painting a small item, then place it inside the box.
- Wear eye protectors like goggles and also use respirators while spraying.
- Always spray in a well-ventilated area.
- Always hold the sprayer or nozzle 12 to 18 inches away from the object.
- Spray with a wide mist so that the paint will look consistent.
How do you prepare stainless steel for painting?
- Scrub the stainless steel material by using a water-based degreaser or a coarse plastic brush.
- If you are working outdoors, then rinse the stainless steel material thoroughly with a water hose. If you are working indoors, rinse thoroughly by using wet rags. Now let it dry.
- Protect the flooring by using a cloth or plastic sheets. Tape the surface where you do not want to paint.
- Now apply a thin coat of primer to the surface. Apply the primer in short spurts. Do not apply continuously long streams as this may lead to sagging in the final finish.
- Allow the primer to dry for four to five hours until you apply a final coat of paint.
Can you spray paint over stainless steel?
You have to coat the stainless steel with a primer layer before applying the final coat of paint in the color you want. Primer coats have special bonding agents that help them keep paint on the surface. To get an even coat, use a spraying machine rather than a paintbrush, which will leave ridges behind.
What is the best primer for stainless steel?
- Jotun penguard primer
- Sika permacor 2706 EG
- Rust oleum X1
- Jotun penguard express MIO
- Jotun Penguard Special.
- Jotun Penguard Special B10.
- Jotun Penguard Plus.
- Jotun Jotacote Universal N10.
Can you coat stainless steel?
Powder coating utilizes a simple process to obtain powder-coated stainless steel products in different colors. Various powder-coating colors can be used to change the feel of the stainless-steel surface. For example, the stainless-steel railing that we use regularly can be powder-coated and powder-colored.
How to paint stainless steel?
Follow these methods to paint the stainless steel material.
Preparing to paint
- Buy high-quality oil-based paint. You can use brush, spray, or roll according to your choice. Buy the appropriate painting tools.
- Get high-quality wax from home department stores. You need to wax the surface after painting.
- It would be best if you made the steel a little rough to bond the paint strongly. If you are painting on new steel, then take a hand sander and rub it thoroughly to get the desired roughness.
- You can rent a hand sander. If you don’t want to spend money, then you can use a wire sponge.
- Clean your steel with any degreaser to remove any stains and fingerprints.
- Now apply a primer that is related to the steel. Use a high-quality primer to get smoother results.
- Now apply your primer smoothly. You can use a paintbrush to apply primer. But it will give some roughness. Take a sponge and rub it on it to make it smooth.
- Now paint the surface in the form of layers. Make sure to apply the paint only after the primer has been dried.
- Now dry the paint for some time. After the paint has been completely dried then apply wax to the surface to give a natural sheen.
These are the steps to be followed to paint a stainless steel material.