Everyone wants to be independent in everything these days. People have started doing a lot of experiments at home by watching tutorials online. It is a great feeling when we can do something on our own which we never thought of.
Now if you are thinking of changing your flooring then you will have to remove your existing flooring tiles before placing the new ones. It is definitely not an easy task but one reason to do it on your own is that it can save you a lot of money.
One more reason to remove old tile floor before installing the new ones, is that it will help you to figure out whether there are any problems with the subfloor which you need to fix.
So doing this can actually prevent a lot of issues which you may face in future. You just need a few equipment before you get started with pulling up the tile floor.
Now before buying the equipment for the removal of tiles, you should buy safety glasses for yourself because the dust can easily get into your eyes. You should also buy a pair of leather gloves to protect your hands. Remember, your safety is most important.
Now you can proceed and buy the equipment for the tile removal.
What are the tools which I will need for removing tiles?
- Paint Scraper
- Floor Scraper
- A drop sheet for the dust
- A hammer
- Screw gun
- Roofing rake
- Flat shovel
These are the tools which will help you remove your tiles and then clean off the dust caused in this whole process.
How do I remove my tiles?
The best way to remove floor tile is to firstly remove all the items from that room. Do not forget to cover all the vents in that room to protect them from dust.
- Now it is time to remove the tiles. This process can be a little complicated if you do not want to break the tiles.
- If you do not care about your existing tiles and want to replace them, then you can just get started with a hammer.
- You can start by smashing one tile with the hammer and then you can use chisel for removing the remaining tile. And then it will be easier for you to remove the other tiles around it.
- You will still have to break at least one tile even if you want to save the others. But if you are careful, you can definitely save all the other tiles.
- To remove tiles, you can use the claw end of the hammer and take them out easily.
- Check the condition of the flooring underlayment, once all the tiles are removed.
- Now be careful while removing the underlayment and once it has been removed, you can clean the subfloor.
- Check it carefully and decide whether it neds any repairs or any kind of extra cleaning.
- It is very important to clean the subfloor before putting new tiles.
- If the sub floor is not clean and you put new tiles over the dirt, then you are inviting problems for future.
What is Asbestos and why is it dangerous for you?
Asbestos is a silicate mineral which was used for installing tiles earlier. Asbestos is dangerous for our body as it can get into our lungs and cause diseases. You should make sure that your floor is free of asbestos.
How to make sure that your floor is free of Asbestos?
One method to see whether your floor is free of asbestos is to look at the size of your tiles. If they are of nine inches on each side that means that asbestos may be there. But the best method to check for asbestos is to conduct a test by a professional of that area.
What can you do with your old tiles?
Now if you used completely new tiles for your floor, then you will also have to dispose the old ones somewhere. If the tiles are not broken and in a good condition, then you may give it to someone who can make a good use out of the tiles.
If they are not in a good condition, then you can take it to your local recycling centre and see if they can take it for recycling.
Can you do all this on your own?
Yes, you can almost do every step on your own. However, you may require professional help only if your find asbestos. It is a good idea to call a professional for the cleaning and removal of asbestos.
Asbestos can be really harmful to deal with so it is better to take a professional help in that case.
Also, if you find that your subfloor is damaged, the also you may require some professional help for repairing it. Only a professional will be able to clean it fully and stable for installing the new tiles.
You can also watch some tutorials online to see the exact procedure of removing and placing the tiles. It is definitely not very easy to do so but if done with care and if you follow all the steps, you will be able to do it on your own.
However, there is no harm in taking help from someone experienced. Yes, the professionals do charge a lot of money but it will be a lot safer in case you are not confident.
Make sure that if you are taking help of a friend or family member, then they are wearing proper gloves and glasses to protect themselves. Basically, anyone coming in that room should be covered at all times.
The tiles and some dust particles may cause harm to the person entering the room without covering themselves that is why it is important.
It is definitely a very tiring and time consuming task but once it is done it will change the whole look of your room and it will also give you a different feeling as you will feel accomplished after finishing such a task.