Acrylic paint works well on both fabric and leather surfaces. It is easy to apply, and acrylic paints can either be brushed or sprayed onto the shoe. Acrylic paint dries quickly and is flexible once it drys. Most acrylic paints are water-based, so they won’t damage the shoes when you wash them later on if they need to be cleaned.
Acrylic paint is not permanent. It will chip off if the shoe is bumped or scraped against a rough surface. If you want your shoes to look nice, you should stick with other types of paint for an exterior finish.
You can paint shoes with acrylic paint. Acrylics work well on surfaces that dry quickly, like wood and canvas. To make the painting last longer, use a shoe paint or enamel paint.
You can paint shoes with acrylic paints by doing this: do it in layers. Do the painting in layers until you have enough paint on the shoe to make it strong and water-resistant. You can also use any of the usual techniques for working with acrylic paints, like adding detail lines or highlights with an acrylic marker.
Type Of Shoes Can Be Paint With Acrylics
Shoes with a smooth surface, like sneakers, can easily be painted. It is even possible to paint shoes that have a fabric upper and a rubber sole. However, it’s important to ensure the shoe doesn’t lose flexibility after you paint it. If it does, then you will not be able to keep your shoes for a long time. Shoes with a leather upper can also be painted, but you need to ensure you use acrylic paint meant for leather.
Shoes With Fabric Uppers
Before you paint your sneakers, it is best to try them on and see if they lose their softness or flexibility when they are dry.
If your shoes are canvas, you can paint them with acrylic paints. However, you need to make sure your shoe doesn’t lose its flexibility after it has dried completely.
Shoes With Leather Uppers
Before you use acrylic on a shoe that is made of leather, test it first. If the surface is rough, the acrylic might not stick to it well and it might get scratched.
Shoes’ Flexibility Doesn’t Get Affected
Yes, you can use acrylic paint on shoes. It won’t damage the shoes or make them lose flexibility. In fact, using acrylic paint is quite popular among many shoe designers because it’s water-resistant.
How to Paint Shoes With Acrylic Paint
1. Clean and sand the shoes with sandpaper, if necessary. If they are leather, do not sand them; use a damp cloth to wipe off the dust and dirt. After sanding, wipe them down with a dry cloth. Do not paint shoes that have been sprayed with water or any other liquid treatments (like shoe polish or water repellant). If you are painting shoes with leather soles, make sure they are dry.
2. Cover any eyelets and laces with masking tape to protect them from the paint. Use more tape around the sole of the shoe to avoid getting paint on it. If there is a gap between the sole and the shoe, cover it with a piece of paper or something else that can be easily removed after you’ve finished painting.
3. If you are painting multiple pairs of shoes, put them on a flat surface such as a table so they don’t fall over. Make sure there’s space between each pair to avoid getting paint on them from the brush.
4. Use a round or square brush to paint the shoes. If you are painting the upper part of the shoe, use one with bristles about 2 mm wide. If you want to paint details on them, you can use a smaller brush with bristles about 0.5-1 mm wide. When painting with a paintbrush, place the bristles flat against the surface. For round surfaces, move in a circular motion with a medium amount of pressure. For flat surfaces, use a back and forth motion across it.
5. Use a palette knife to spread paint on shoes with grooves or patterns that have been covered by masking tape. Spread one side of the knife with paint and carefully wipe off the excess on the side of the jar or can. Be careful not to spread too much at once, but don’t be afraid of adding more paint if needed.
6. Let your shoes dry for at least 24 hours before you start painting on top of them again. Some paints require more than one coat to achieve the desired results, so you will need to wait longer before you paint over them.
How To Make Paint Drying Faster
If you do not have enough time for your shoes to dry, use a wet cloth to wipe them. Begin by wiping the paint off of the shoe with the wet cloth. Then use a dry piece of cloth to finish drying it.
How To Clean Shoes After Painting
After painting your shoes, use a wet cloth to wipe them. If the paint has come off in some places, use a brush with water-based paint thinner. Press against the surface of the shoe with the bristles and move away from any areas where paint has come off completely. When you are done, wipe with a dry cloth to finish cleaning your shoes.
What You Need
Oil-Based Cleanser, Dishwashing Liquid, or Soapy Water
How to Prevent Acrylic Paint from Cracking on Shoes
If you’re using acrylic paint on your shoes, make sure they are completely dry before you start wearing them again. Acrylic paint tends to crack if not completely dried, so try to wait 24 hours before putting your shoes back on.
Acrylic paint takes longer to dry than other types of paint. Make sure you have a thin coat of an acrylic-based primer undercoat before painting your shoes so that they will be completely dry for immediate wear after you finish painting them. If you choose to use another type of paint, follow the instructions above about how long it will take for that kind of paint to dry.
Do’s And Don’ts While Painting Shoes
1. Do use masking tape to protect surfaces of shoes not being painted, especially on parts where some grooves or patterns might be harder to cover when using a roller or paintbrush.
2. Do wear safety glasses if you are working with spray paint or solvent-based paint. These can be dangerous chemicals, so proper protection will help keep you safe.
3. Don’t let your shoes drop to the floor while painting them; if they hit the ground, the side that is facing down will not be painted, and it might even get scuffed up or damage the bottom of your shoes.
4. Do use a lint roller to pick up any particles of dirt on your shoes before starting to paint them. A lint roller will collect all this loose debris without leaving any residue or damaging what you are trying to paint.
5. Don’t touch wet shoes with your hands after you have painted them; avoid handling them as much as you can after this point. It will prevent the paint from drying correctly if your hands are wet or dirty when you handle them, and it can damage the paint job once it’s dry.
6. Do plan ahead by putting down newspaper, towels, or anything else that can protect what is underneath your shoes while they are being painted. This prevents any unnecessary messes in case there is paint dripping off of your shoes while you are working on them.
7. Don’t start painting your shoes again after they have already dried; make sure to wait at least 24 hours before doing so for the paint to set completely. If you try to touch up previously-painted areas too soon, the new paint might smear or peel off.
8. Do clean your paintbrushes with water, an oil-based cleanser, or dishwashing liquid after you are done painting your shoes. This keeps the bristles in good condition for future projects and prevents the leftover paint from drying inside of the bristles. 9. Don’t leave brushes soaking in water overnight; this can make them lose their shape and might damage the metal band around the bottom of them.
I Can’t Remove The Masking Tape!
Mask the tape on rubber soles. If you want to remove it, use a hairdryer set on high heat. This will make it warm and soft. Then pull it off without damaging your paint job.
Will My Shoes Lose Flexibility?
Acrylic paint won’t damage leather, so you don’t need to worry about your shoes getting ruined. Most acrylic paint is water-resistant and most shoe soles are made of rubber. So even if you touch them with wet hands or walk in the rain, they won’t get damaged.
What To Do If Your Shoe Paint Was Unsuccessful
If your shoes are not the same color when you paint them, take off the paint. Then make sure to sand the surface so it will be smooth again. Paint in layers, waiting for each one to dry before adding another layer of paint.
How To Make A Shoe Last Longer
If you want your shoes to last a long time, follow these tips:
-Don’t wear them when there is bad weather.
-Protect the bottom of the shoe by putting rubber pieces on it.
-Put them in an airtight bag when not wearing them
What To Do If You’ve Worn Your Shoes Too Much And They’re Falling Apart
If you want to make your old shoes new, try these things. You can attach the heel from another shoe, use textile glue to mend minor rips and tears, add foam or cork to the insole, and apply rubber adhesive to the sole.