Gas dryers and electric dryers come with different systems in the process of drying. But both are related in producing heat and rotation. The continuous rotation of the drum removes all the water in the clothes and dresses. The hot air in the dryer removes the moisture and dries the clothes and dresses.
How does a dryer drum belt work
The dryer belt runs outside of the room and loops onto a drive pulley attached to the dryer. The tension causes the belt of the grip to rotate it. If the drum is overloaded or glides or pulleys fail the belt may slip. Over time the belt will break. When the drum breaks, the drum will not rotate. There is a belt switch that will be activated in some models, and the motor does not work.
Replacing the dryer drum belt
All the dryer belts are not the same. They are different from model to model. Some brands come with Maytag dryer belts, Kenmore dryer belts, Whirlpool dryer belts, and GE dryer belts. You want to purchase the belt that fits the dryer perfectly.
Replacing a dryer belt needs to disassemble the dryer. The process varies from model to model.
- Ensure that the appliance is not connected to any power cord.
- Remove the screws of the dryer top panel and remove the panel.
- You need to disconnect the door switch before you remove the front panel.
- Some of the dryers will come with a bulkhead that supports the front panel. Remove the braces and disconnect the sensor wires.
- Depress the pulley which will remove the tension of the old belt.
- Slide the old belt to the front of the drum and then remove it.
- Now slide the new belt over the drum. Most of the dryers require a grooved type belt that faces inward to the drum.
- Loop the belt in the zig-zag pattern.
- Rotate the drum to fit the new belt perfectly.
- Reinstall the front bulkhead and ensure that the drum is appropriately positioned on the bulkhead.
- Reinstall the front panel and reconnect the door switch if necessary.
- Reinstall the top panel and the control panel.
- After completing the assembly then connect to the power cord.