What is a gooseneck hitch?
A gooseneck hitch is nothing but a truck bed hitch that connects to the gooseneck trailer by using a hitch ball. The hitch’s main body mounts the truck bed and the bolts on to the truck’s frame by using brackets. A best gooseneck hitch is designed for a pickup truck similar to the fifth wheel. But the difference is that the gooseneck uses a ball and coupler instead of a kingpin and pin receiver. Horse trailers are the trailers that use the gooseneck most.
How much does it cost to install a gooseneck hitch?
Installing a gooseneck hitch makes your vehicle a real heavy-duty towing truck. But you need to install high capacity kits, which may cost around $800 to $2800 on average. But overall, the price may vary depending on the size, towing capacity and other features. You also need to pay extra for the labor costs. To get to know cost details, you need to research different brands and choose according to the budget.
How to install a gooseneck hitch?
Follow these steps to install a gooseneck hitch.
- Gooseneck hitch needs access to the underside of your truck bed. So you need to remove the spare tire and rim.
- Measure where the gooseneck ball hole needs to be cut. The gooseneck ball hole needs to be installed near the axle of the two wheels. First, check all the instructions thoroughly before cutting.
- Insert a cross-arm bracket from the rear wheel access point. Make sure that you did not cause any damage to the broken wires.
- Once you insert the cross-arm, then take a wrench and rotate in a correct orientation. Next, insert the front arm according to the instructions that are present in the manual.
- Prepare the gooseneck center section and then lift it into the position under the truck bed. Once lifted, attach necessary hardware to secure the gooseneck center section. You can also take your friends’ help in this step.
- Attach the side plate brackets to the cross arm. On some of the trucks, fish wiring may also be necessary. Install the side plates on both the driver and passenger sides. When attaching, make sure that the gooseneck hitch is squared up.
- Then torque the gooseneck hitch to the values that are mentioned in the manual.
- Then you need to install safety chain anchors by drilling. You can make holes underneath the bed. Take the gooseneck center section as a template. Once done, apply a touchup paint.
- You need to install handles for this first locking pin mechanism into the side of the ball hole. Then slide the handle by passing it through the hitch center. Attach the fasteners and test them. Finally, install the spare wheel and rims.
Top 8 best gooseneck hitches reviews
1.CURT 16085 Spyder Gooseneck Adapter Hitch
If you install fifth wheel brackets and rails to your truck, it does not mean that your truck is restricted to one type of towing. To give your truck more towing capacity, you need to install a powerful and ultimate towing machine. This CURT Spyder gooseneck adapter hitch is a gooseneck adapter that fits into the fifth wheel rails just like a fifth-wheel trailer hitch. This will help you to pull both fifth wheel trailers and gooseneck trailers with the same truck.
- 5th wheel to gooseneck adapter.
- Standard 2-5/16-inch gooseneck ball.
- Tow 25,000 lbs. gross trailer & 6,250 lbs. vertical load.
- Carbide powder coat finish.
2.B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch RVK3500 – Best hideaway gooseneck
If you are exploring for the best hideaway gooseneck, then this one’s for you. This product requires a 3 ½ diameter hole on your truck bed. The bed rail kits are matched according to the weight of your vehicle. It can handle 30000 pounds gross trailer weight and 7500 pounds of vertical load. This gooseneck hitch rail kit includes a 2 5/16 inches chrome plated ball and a magnetic cover when the ball is stored in the position. It is easy to use and easy to install.
- The fully articulating head enables front to back and side to side pivoting.
- It has a Cam action latching handle for easy release, even when parked on unlevel sites.
- Polyurethane bushings provide a quiet, rattle-free towing experience.
3.CURT 61052 Black, Bed Folding Gooseneck Hitch – best CURT gooseneck hitches
This is often called innovation in the history of goosenecks. It offers a unique solution to the misplaced or stolen gooseneck hitch ball. This is not the standard gooseneck hitch fixed to the trailer ball or a removable gooseneck hitch. This is a folding hitch that is permanently attached to the hinges down into a small compartment.
- 30,000 lbs Gross trailer weight.
- 7,500 lbs vertical load.
- The ball features a standard 2-5/16-inch diameter.
- It is Designed with SAE J2638 specifications. Corrosion-Resistant.
4.B&W Trailer Hitches 1313 Gooseneck Hitch – Best gooseneck trailer hitch
This machine or tool is designed to fit the vehicles without making any modifications to them. So if you purchase this gooseneck hitch, your vehicle will be in its original condition. Most trucks have brake lines or fuel lines along the rails of the truck. This may be damaged when you are installing a gooseneck hitch. So if you have this product, you do not need any damage to these brake lines or fuel lines. But it would be best if you examined before installing this goose hitch carefully.
- Fits: 2003-2013 Dodge 3/4 and 1 Ton Long and Short Bed Gas or Diesel Trucks.
- Bolts to existing holes in the frame.
- Reliable, one-piece machined receiver socket.
5.CURT 60614 Original-Equipment-Style Black Gooseneck Hitch – Best gooseneck hitch plate
These gooseneck hitches are used for trucks to tackle big jobs. These are a unique type of gooseneck hitches because they do not require additional brackets. These gooseneck hitches can be directly attached to the vehicle rails with the existing bolts within a few minutes. It needs less than an hour to install the gooseneck hitch. There is also no need to do welding and bed removal. It can handle a weight capacity of 30000 lbs and a vertical load of 7500 lbs.
- A removable 2-5/16-inch diameter ball.
- Quarter-turn latch system.
- Factory-style gooseneck hitch.
- Highly durable carbide black powder coat finish.
- It fits selected models of the Ram 2500.
6.Reese 58079″The Goose Gooseneck Hitch – Strongest gooseneck hitch
These Reese gooseneck hitches are easy to install and easy to remove. So they are easy to use. This gooseneck hitch can handle 25000 total weight and 6500 pounds of vertical load. These gooseneck hitches come with attaching pins and clips. These are durable and of high strength.
- 25,000 lbs. gross vehicle towing weight and 6,250 lbs. vertical load.
- 2-5/16″ high strength zinc plated ball.
- Easy installation and removal.
7.B and W GNRK1116 – Turnover Ball Gooseneck Hitch – Best gooseneck ball hitch
This is the number one selling gooseneck brand in America. This hitch can be used in two ways. If you want to use this hitch as a leveling bed, you can or don’t want a leveling bed to make it to a normal position. This is also regarded as one of the best hitches that make no modifications to the vehicle. You can use this hitch to your vehicle in an original condition.
- Designed to fit vehicles in their original condition.
- Compatibility with vehicles having replacement parts.
8.CURT 60680 Double Lock EZr Gooseneck Hitch – curt flip over gooseneck hitch
This gooseneck hitch is easier to install and easy to use. It can be used to handle heavy-duty tasks. It comes with a 30000 lbs towing capacity that can outperform any of the towing trucks. It also comes with an under bed gooseneck hitch that makes work even more straightforward. You do not need other people’s help as you can install this gooseneck hitch without anyone’s help.
- Flip-and-Store Black 30,000 lbs.
- Fits HD, HD 2-5/16-Inch Ball.
- Select Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra – 2500, 3500 – HD, SAE – J2638 specifications for safety.