What is abstract contemporary art? Abstract art is art that does not attempt to represent an accurate depiction of a visual reality but instead use shapes, colours, forms and gestural marks to achieve its effect. Wassily Kandinsky. Cossacks (1910–1)
Is abstract painting contemporary? During the Post-War period, abstract art was so popular, that we could even say it had a central position within the contemporary art scene. However, things changed at the end of the 1960s – new movements appeared, while abstract art survived only as part of other art movements.
What is the difference between contemporary art and abstract? The term "contemporary" describes any work of art that is currently produced, whereas the abstract term refers completely to a particular painting design. Abstract art is not classified in a particular period, and that is the fundamental difference.
What is the most famous piece of abstract art?
- Wassily Kandinsky, Composition X, 1939.
- Piet Mondrian, Composition II in Red, Blue, and Yellow, 1930.
- Joan Miro, Peinture (Etoile Bleue), 1927.
- Ben Nicholson OM, 1934 (Relief), 1934.
- Jackson Pollock, Convergence, 1952.
- Helen Frankenthaler, Mountains and Sea, 1952.