What do you need for cross-stitching?
- Fabric. If you’re new to cross stitch then the best fabric option is ‘aida’ in a light colour.
- Thread. You’ll commonly hear embroidery thread referred to as “floss” particularly in the USA.
- Embroidery Hoop.
- Needle and Needle Minders.
What do you do with cross stitch when finished?
- Frame It. Yeh, that’s right; frame it.
- Sell It. Let me answer a question that might have just had; people buy completed cross stitch.
- Store It.
- Make a Quilt.
- Make a Cushion Cover.
- Make a Pencil Case/Sewing Case.
- Make Pins/Needle Minders.
How many strands of floss do I need for cross stitch? Cross stitch is generally worked using two strands of stranded cotton when working on 14-count and 16-count Aida. It is perfectly acceptable to mix the number of threads used within the same project. You might want to alter the texture of the finished piece by working in one, two and even three strands.
How much should cross stitch cost? If you want to charge per stitch for commissions, you should calculate your average time and charge minimum wage. For me, that would end up being around $0.05 a stitch! A much more reasonable rate. But ultimately, it’s all up to you.