Measurement and size of your custom blinds window are relatively easy. Accurate measurement guarantees high-quality, personalised window treatments. This brings an exquisite, classy touch to your house. To start measuring blinds, first, pick a window covering. Decide whether to use an internal mount or an external mount. Our How to Measure Mini Blinds guide makes measuring blinds simple if you plan a DIY window treatment project!
Tools For Measure Mini Blinds
- Steel Tape Measure
- Step Ladder (if necessary)
Inside Mount And Outside Mount Blinds
Are you looking for the best match for modern treatments for windows? All begins with an exact calculation. Most hardware kits come with all that you need for wood or drywall installation. Ensure you have the proper drill bits and the necessary screws to mount window treatments for metal or masonry.
Determine if the window treatment is mounted as an inside mount or an outside mount before taking any measurements. To weigh precisely to the nearest 1/8-inch, use a metal tape measure. Do not get rounded off. Within the mount, treatments are mounted inside the window frame. They are also used in combination with draperies which are placed outside the doors. Within brackets may also give a smooth, sleek look. They do not have as much light power as they do outside the mounts.
Outside mount window treatments are installed outside the window case. They’re a common alternative when blinds are going to be the only window covering. Extending it beyond the window allows full control of the light.
Instruction For How to Measure for Inside Mount Mini Blinds
When you measure the inside of the mount blinds, the accuracy is the key. Inside mounted mini blinds are placed within a window frame or case – they have an elegant, tidy appearance that will show off your window size and moulding. If you are interested in measuring mini blinds inside the mount, take the following steps:
- Measure the window frames width, from the front of the glass opening. You will need this measurement to ensure that your window recess meets the required depth specifications for inside mounting. Please refer to the Mounting Criteria section for the window treatment you have selected to ensure that your window follows inside mounting requirements.
- Measure the width of each opening of a window. Record the width at the top, middle and bottom of the opening of your window. Circle the smallest measurement of the three – this is the amount you apply for your window width.
- Measure your window opening height in three locations: left, middle, and right. Circle the largest measurement-this is the amount you apply for the height of your window.
- Order the same opening size with no deductions. The factory is going to take deductions in output.
- Double review the “mounting requirements” portion of your preferred product to ensure that your window is sufficiently deep to suit the inside of the mount. If this is not the case, select an outside mount or move to another product.
Instruction For How to Measure for Outside Mount Mini Blinds
The mini blinds are placed on the outside of the window or the wall above your window. Outside mounting blinds are a reasonable choice if the inside mount is not possible due to the window’s depth or the obstruction across the window frame. Take these quick steps to measure the windows for mini blinds to be placed outside:
- Check the installation requirements for your mini blinds to ensure that you have enough flat surface for the mounting hardware.
- Determine the width of the mini blinds that you choose to order. If you have window trim, literally measure the far edges of the trim from left to right.
- If your window does not have a trim, we suggest adding two inches to each side of your window to provide light gap shielding and protection. Label these extensions to each side and measure the distance in a straight line between them.
- Determine the height of the blinds you’re going to buy. If you have a wide window sill, start at the sill and measure three inches above the top of the window opening to allow hardware mounting.
- If you do not have a mounting window sill, we recommend beginning the measurement two inches below the sill for optimum coverage and then measuring three inches above the top of the window opening to allow hardware mounting.
- Double check the width of the dimensions by height format (W x H). Note that your product will be designed to the exact size specified for the mini blinds outside of the mount.
Tips For Mini Blinds Measurements
It is always important to remember a few key things while measuring the blinds:
- Decide whether you want an inside mount or an outside mount before beginning the measurement process. If you’re not positive, take measurements in both ways, and then choose blinds that appeal to you.
- The steel measuring tape is much more accurate than the measuring tape with a fabric.
- Often measure to the nearest 1/8-inch spot. Don’t round to half an inch or half an inch.
- Be careful of transposing measurements.
- Always be clearly defined in width and height.
- Always measure the width of the blind first and the height second.