Drilling a hole in a glass without breaking the glass sounds impossible, doesn’t it? Drilling a hole in something like wood is easy as compared to drilling a hole in glass.
People like to try a lot of stuff on their own these days. If you are also someone who likes DIY stuff and want to make something by drilling a hole in a glass, then you are at the right place.
What kind of tools will I need for this?
- Safety glasses
- Drill bit set
- Pair of gloves
- Lubricating oil
- Rubber pad or newspaper
- File or sand paper
Before buying the tools required for this project, make sure that you have gloves, mask and goggles for your safety. You will be dealing with a glass and drill which can be dangerous if not taken care that is why it is important to take care of your safety.
All these things will be easily available at any nearby store.
Tips for drilling the glass
Here are some tips which you need to keep in mind for drilling through glass.
- Select the type of glass you want to drill- You can select any kind of glass you want to drill. You can drill holes in glass bottle, wine bottle, mirrors or glass tiles.
- Select the right drill bit- You need a drill bit that is specially designed to drill through glass. You cannot choose any drill bit which you have. Make sure you take help from someone to select the right drill bit.
- A diamond drill bit will be the best choice- A diamond drill bit can drill all kinds of glasses and other materials like marbles and stone so it will be a better choice for this project.
- Notice where the glass is the thinnest while you are drilling the hole as these areas are the easiest to rill in a glass.
Steps to drill a hole in glass
Firstly, prepare the glass
- Place the glass on a surface and then put the scrap of plywood which should be larger than the glass.
- Use some rubber pad or newspaper and keep it around the plywood.
- Decide a spot where you want to make the hole in the glass and mark that spot so that you remember it.
- Use a tape to mark an X over the spot as it will provide traction for the drill.
Now prepare the drill
- Prepare a speed power drill and don goggles, gloves and mask for your safety.
Start by drilling a hole
- You need to start by making a hole at the marked point to prevent any damage to the glass.
- Point the driller at the centre of the marked point on the glass.
- Now use an oil on the area around drill tip and glass and begin at a low speed.
- Do not apply too much pressure in the beginning.
- Drill a hole in the glass with medium pressure.
Now you can drill the hole size you want
- You can remove the tape once you have started drilling the starter hole.
- Go on with the drilling at the marked point but keep the speed low.
- Stop the drill in between and clear the dust on the glass. You can add more oil as needed.
- You can replace the drill bit with a larger one. Continue the drilling with light pressure.
- Repeat this process until you have reached the hole size you want.
- Turn the glass to the other side once you have drilled more than half way through the glass.
- Repeat the same process on the other side too with low speed starting with the smallest drill bit.
Smoothen the edges of the glass
- Take a round file to smoothen the edges of the glass.
- A sand paper can also be considered for this job. Now you can wash the piece of glass and remove the dust, if any.
Some points to remember: –
- Always wear a mask, gloves and goggles for your safety.
- Do not speed up the drill and go slow.
- Avoid applying too much pressure on glass.
- Make sure the glass is cool when you are drilling it as this will prevent the glass from breaking.
- Be patient and always use oil to prevent overheating. Oil also helps speed up the drilling process.
- Make sure not to drill a tempered glass. The glass will completely break as soon as you run the drill on it and will cause a lot of damage.
- You can see a lot of ways online which help you determine whether a glass is tempered or not. Check for the tempered glass before you start drilling.
- If you are taking help of a friend or family member, then make sure that they are also taking all the precautions.
Drilling a glass is definitely more difficult process than drilling other things like wood so it is better to take professional help in case you are not confident enough to do it yourself.
Although, these days a lot of people are trying so many different things on their own, if you are also someone who likes to try such things, it is definitely a good idea but after taking all the precautions.
You can also watch some tutorials online if you are not sure about the process. These videos will help you learn more and you will be able to do the process correctly.
Do not attempt to do it if you are not sure how to do it. There is no harm in taking the help of a professional. The most important thing is that you need the right equipment.
If you are not sure about the equipment, you can go to a nearby store and tell them your requirements. They will definitely help you as per your needs.
Drilling a hole in a glass is definitely difficult but it is not impossible if you follow all the above steps and tips. You also need to use the correct equipment.