Marble is a stone that is widely used in houses for counter tops and tiling. Cutting a slab of marble is not easy. You will be needing a wet saw with a diamond blade to get this job done. You will also require some safety equipment.
What are the tools required for cutting a marble?
- Safety glasses
- Slab of marble
- Wet saw with a diamond blade
- Pencil or a tape
Steps you need to follow before cutting the marble
- The best way of cutting marble is by using a wet saw. A wet saw with a diamond blade as it ensures a smooth and clean cut. If you do not have a marble saw then, it is a better idea to rent it as it will be more convenient.
- You need to have the right kind of saw. You can take help of an employee at the store for the kind of saw which will be suitable for your project.
- Make sure to go through the instruction manual of the saw before you use it. You can harm yourself if you do not know how to use it properly.
- You will need to make sure that the saw is connected to a water supply. The blade of a saw should remain wet to keep it cool, when you are using a wet saw.
- The blade can cut the marble in an incorrect way if it is too hot. Every model of saw has a different way of connected it to the water supply so you should definitely read the instructions given for your model.
- To prevent any scratches on the marble, put it on a thick piece of foam.
- Now use a pencil and make a mark on a marble very want to make a cut. You can also use a tape for this.
- Before turning on the saw, put some water on the front part of the blade.
- It is very important to put on your safety gloves as they will reduce the risk of cutting your hands.
- There will be a loud noise when the blade will be used on a marble. This noise can cause damage to your ears as you will be standing very close so make sure to cover your ears with ear muffs.
- To protect your eyes from the fly aways, you should always wear your safety goggles. It is a good idea to wear clothes that fit you well as loose clothes can get caught in a saw.
How to cut the marble?
Now to cut the marble, you need to be very careful as it can be a dangerous task if not done properly.
- Put a marble on the correct side of a blade which depends on the saw.
- Make sure to move the marble slowly as it will avoid breakage. Always remember to make the cuts slowly.
- Now cut the marble with the back of the marble facing upwards.
- Turn the slab of a marble and continue to cut the rest.
- Make sure that the saw is switched off when you are not using it.
- You can use a sand paper to clean the spiky edges of a marble.
- Once you are done clean the surface and the saw.
Cutting marble especially when you are not familiar with using the saw can be a very harmful thing to do. Professionals do charge a huge amount of money but there is no harm in taking a professional help in case you are not sure.
You can also watch some online tutorials to know more about cutting marble by yourself but do not attempt it until you are not completely sure that you can do it.
Tips to follow while cutting marble on your own:
- Always remember that safety comes first. Do not compromise on your safety and before arranging the tools, get gloves, goggles and earmuffs for yourself.
- In case, you are taking help of a friend or family member, make sure they are also taking all the precautions.
- If you are someone who is into DIYs and keep doing such projects, then it is a good idea to invest in the right kind of saw. If you are someone who is doing it for the first time or not very frequent then you can rent the saw.
- The right marble cutting tools play a very important role in cutting the marble. So, it will be better to take the help of someone more experienced in case you are doing this for the first time.
- Remember to go slow with the marble always as going fast can damage the marble and also cause harm to you.
- You can try with the small pieces of marbles first if you have them before jumping onto the big ones. By doing this, you will also get an idea on how slowly you should go with the marble.
- When you are done cutting the marble and smoothening the edges of the marble, make sure to go slow and be very careful as you may cut your hands or break the marble.
- Always keep your fingers away from the blade of the saw.
- When you are marking the lines on where you want the cut on marble, make sure that the lines are visible. You can use a tape in case the lines are not visible with a pencil.
- Remove the remaining pieces of the marble from the surface once you are done cutting it to avoid any harm that can be caused by them.
- Do not use a coarse sandpaper as it can scratch the edges of the marble.
- Always use a wet sandpaper as it makes the job easier.
So all the information on how to cut the marble on your own has been mentioned above. One should always remember to be careful and practice caution.
Everything should be done keeping your safety in mind. Once you learn how to cut a marble on your own, you can definitely do a lot of things with it and give your whole house a makeover.