Clean Stainless Steel Grill Grates helps to reduce rusting between the grill gaps. This also helps to ensure taste if you are cooking on the grill. After cooking, you need to scrape those grills to ensure no food items are stuck in the grills. It would be best to clean your grill every year to prevent it from rusting and keep the grill in good condition. It is not a routine task. It depends on what type of grill you are using. It would be best if you also were careful while cleaning your grill.
What do you soak stainless steel grill grates in?
Keeping your stainless steel grill in good shape requires you to thoroughly clean after every use. If you leave the burnt debris of cooked food, it will be difficult to clean after a long time, and it also causes dullness to the grill. So it is recommended to clean the grill after every use.
Cleaning with vinegar and foil – Stainless steel grill grates
Vinegar can be helpful to dissolve the burnt food items stuck on the grill. Foil can remove that debris that is stuck to the grill without any scratches to the surface.
- To clean your grill with vinegar, first, let your grill cool down.
- Dilute two cups of vinegar with two cups of water in a spray bottle.
- Spray the grill with the solution you have made and allow it to settle for a few minutes.
- This will help you to soak the debris.
- Now fold the aluminum foil very thickly not to break down while you are rubbing on the grill.
- Spray some solution on the aluminum foil before rubbing the surface.
- Now scrub the grill to remove all the debris.
How to burn debris off your grill rack?
- First, turn the flame very high so that the debris will be burnt.
- Now turn off the flame.
- With the grill being hot, take a brush and scrub off all the debris.
- Now soak an old rag in water or vinegar solution.
- Now clean the grill with the rag you soaked in water after it has been cooled.
Soak your stainless steel racks overnight – Cleaning grill grates
If you want to clean the stainless steel racks, then it needs to be soaked overnight.
- First, put your grill racks in a large garbage bag.
- Now take a bowl and add two cups of vinegar with one cup of baking soda.
- Now pour the solution into the garbage bag and tie it securely.
- Now put the garbage bag on the ground and allow it to soak overnight.
- The next day takes the racks out and cleans them with a soft cloth to remove the debris.
Clean the grill using a high-pressure hose – cleaning stainless steel grill grates
If you have a garden hose, this will help you to remove the debris all the way.
- Remove the grills from the barbecue and place them against the grill.
- Now take a high-pressure hose and spray it on the grill to remove all the burnt debris.
- After removing all the debris now let it dry off by using a towel.
- You can also dry it by putting it on the flame.
Cleaning and rust prevention tips for stainless steel grills
Most of the barbecue grills are used outdoors and will be left outside for a long time. This will make your barbecue grills expose to many elements like moisture and get oxidized and cause rust.
- Make sure to dry your grill entirely before closing it.
- You can use a microfiber towel to clean your grill. This also does not cause any scratches on the grill.
- To keep your grill in perfect condition and dry, cover it with a cover that comes with the barbecue’s shape.
- You can also use vegetable oil to brush your grill before putting your barbecue away in winter.
As you use your barbecue grill very often, the stainless steel grill becomes discolored. This causes your stainless steel grill to lose its shining. You cannot bring that back. With all these methods mentioned above, you can prevent pits, scrapes, and rust.
What is the best cleaner for stainless steel grill?
There are many stainless steel grill cleaners available in the market to clean your barbecue grill. Some of them are:
- Carbona 2-in-1 Oven Rack & Grill Cleaner
- Zep Oven and Grill Cleaner
- Dawn Platinum Powerwash Dish Spray
- Easy-Off BBQ Grill Cleaner
- Parker & Bailey BBQ Grill Cleaner and Degreaser
- Goo Gone Grill & Grate Cleaner
- Sienna Appliances Grilltastic Steam Cleaning BBQ Grill Brush
- Weiman Stainless Steel Wipes
Carbona 2-in-1 Oven Rack & Grill Cleaner
- Works overnight
- Clean oven racks also
- Cleans two grates once
Oven and Grill cleaner
- Foam clings to grate surfaces
- Requires a little scrubbing
Platinum power-wash dish spray
- Cleans grease well
- Easy to apply
- The sprayer is reusable
BBQ grill cleaner
- Can dissolve burned grease
- Take time to remove the debris
BBQ grill cleaner and degreaser
- Works quickly
- Cleans without streaking
- It can be used on grill tools and drip pans
- No fumes
Grill and grate cleaner
- Works quickly in two to ten minutes
- Clings to the grate surface
- It can be used on a stainless steel grill
- It can be used on interiors and exteriors of the grill
Grilltastic grill cleaner
- Powerful cleaner
- Works quickly
- It needs a nearby outlet
- It is a heavy cleaner
Stainless steel wipes
- Easy to use
- No spilling or leaking
- More convenient to use
- Removes debris without streaking
How do you clean a burnt stainless steel grill?
Before cleaning a burnt stainless steel grill, you will need some things.
Things you need
- Stainless steel scrubbing pads
- Baking soda
- Dish soap
- First, wash the surface with water to remove any food debris.
- Now scrub the surface with dish soap and a scrubber.
- Please take a tiny amount of baking soda on the scrubber and rub it all over the surface.
- Continue scrubbing all over the surface until the burnt marks are removed. Also, add some amount of baking soda if necessary.
- If the burnt marks are still there, then take a tiny amount of vinegar and clean it. The vinegar will boost the cleaning.
- Once the marks have been removed, rinse them with water thoroughly.
- Clean and dry it with a soft cloth.
What can I use to clean my stainless steel grill?
You can clean your stainless steel grill by using some natural cleansers. To make an effective cleanser to clean your stainless steel grills, add 45 grams of baking soda to 59 ml of water in a small bowl. Mix these two to form a paste. You can also use hot water to mix it easily and also to blend it well.
How to clean porcelain grill grates?
Porcelain grates can be heated efficiently, and they are resistant to rust. But if you want to keep them in good condition, you need to clean them after every use. Any pits, chips, and scrapes on the porcelain grates will expose the metal inside and allow the water inside, which causes the rusting of the metal. So when you are using metal grates, make sure that you do not scrape the grates.
If you are cleaning a porcelain grate, it is strongly recommended not to use wire brushes or metal brushes. Use only soft bristle brushes or nylon brushes. Clean or burn off the leftover food materials on the surface. Cool the great and now scrub the debris with nylon or soft-bristled brush.
How to clean cast iron grill grates?
Cast iron grates are highly durable and are highly resistant to extreme temperatures. Most people use cast-iron grates to create an even heat area or cooking surface. They are adamant and can withstand anything except water. When these cast-iron grates are exposed to water, they are prone to rust.
When you are cleaning a cast iron grate, burn all the debris by heating the grate. Now give the grate some time to cool down. After the grates have been cooled, take a nylon brush and scrub it well all over the surface. This will help you to remove the leftover debris. After cleaning the grate, dry them. Now it is time to saturate the grate. Take some vegetable oil and rub it all over the grate surface to prevent rusting.
How to clean stainless steel grates?
Stainless steel grates are very tough, and they can withstand high heat and rust. Cleaning a stainless steel grate is also very easy as it does not take more time. They can be cleaned quickly by using a brush.
Most people clean stainless steel grates by heating them on high flames. They cover the top of the grate with aluminum foil and heat the stainless steel grate for ten to twenty minutes. The aluminum foil will concentrate on heating and burn the leftover food materials stuck on the grate. Now leave the stainless steel grate some time to cool it. Now take a nylon brush and scrub the surface of the grate to remove all the burnt debris.
Deep clean for stuck-on food – Grill cleaning
Sometimes the leftover food cannot be removed by brushing or scrubbing. This may be caused because you haven’t cleaned your grill after every use. So to remove these hard leftovers, you need to deep clean your grill. To remove this hard debris, you need to soak them in vinegar and baking soda mixture. Both the vinegar and baking soda will work together and remove the hard debris easily.
- First, mix two cups of vinegar with one cup of baking soda.
- Now take a garbage bag and pour the entire solution you made previously into it.
- Put the grill you want to clean into the garbage bag.
- Now tie the garbage bag by using a rubber band or a thread.
- Leave the garbage bag on the ground and allow the grill to soak it overnight.
- Remove the grill the next day and rinse it with water. The food that was stuck on the grill shed off. If there is any debris still stuck on the grill, take a brush and scrub them.
- Rinse it with cool water and dry them.
How to clean grill grates with ammonia?
You can use ammonia to clean the grill grates. But it would be best if you took some precautions while cleaning because it is a chemical and can cause any injuries due to the fumes.
Things you need
- Rubber gloves
- Old towels or clothes
- Large garbage bag
- Rubber band or a thread
- Put on the rubber gloves to prevent any injury caused due to the fumes.
- Pour ammonia into a large glass or a plastic container.
- Now put some towels or cloths into the ammonia solution to saturate them.
- Now take the cloths and squeeze the ammonia out of the cloths. Do not squeeze it completely dry. There should be some wetness on the cloth.
- Now put the ammonia-filled clothes into a garbage bag.
- Now put the grill you need to clean inside the garbage bag.
- Seal the garbage bag with a rubber band or a thread.
- Leave the garbage bag along with the grill and ammonia-filled clothes for twenty-four hours.
- After twenty-four hours, remove the grill from the garbage bag. Make sure to open the bag away from your face as the ammonia fumes may cause severe damage to the lungs.
- Take a clean cloth and rinse off all the debris.
- Now clean the grill thoroughly with water using a garden hose.
As ammonia is a chemical, you need to be careful before using it. It would be best if you took all safety precautions to keep yourself safe from harmful chemicals. As ammonia reacts with the grill’s debris, it will release some harmful fumes that may cause damage to the lungs. Always use this process in a well-ventilated area. It is advised to perform this method of cleaning outdoors. Also, make sure not to mix ammonia with the chemicals that contain chlorine bleach. After completing the cleaning, throw the products you used, like garbage bags, away as they may contain chemicals. Please do not dispose of ammonia or the garbage bag in the fire as it may cause an explosion. If you use a respirator, it will be best for you as the reaction releases toxic fumes that will cause permanent damage to your lungs.
These are the methods and materials used for cleaning different types of grills.