If your car is like most, it has an overflow tank for the coolant. But how much coolant should be in the overflow tank? We’ll tell you.
How a coolant reservoir works
A coolant reservoir is a container that stores extra coolant for a vehicle. The coolant is used to keep the engine cool and is circulated through the radiator. When the engine is turned off, the coolant will settle in the reservoir. The coolant level will rise and fall as the engine temperature changes.
The coolant reservoir is usually made of plastic and is located near the radiator. It is connected to the radiator by a hose. The radiator cap is also connected to the coolant reservoir and controls the pressure in the system. The cap has a pressure relief valve that opens when the pressure gets too high.
The coolant level in the reservoir should be checked regularly. The level will go down as the coolant is used and will need to be topped off. If the coolant level gets too low, the engine could overheat.
1. Always check your coolant levels before heading out on a long drive.
2. If your car starts to overheat, pull over and check the coolant levels in the overflow tank.
3. If the coolant levels are low, add more coolant to the overflow tank.
4. Never remove the radiator cap when the engine is hot.
5. If your car has been overheating, have it checked by a mechanic as soon as possible.
Thanks for reading! We hope this guide was helpful in understanding how much coolant should be in the overflow tank. Remember, it’s important to check your coolant level regularly and top off as needed to keep your engine running smoothly and efficiently. As always, if you have any questions or concerns, feel free to reach out to our team of experts for assistance.