How do I do a half double crochet?
- Yarn over and insert the hook into the stitch.
- Yarn over and pull up a loop. (3 loops on the hook.)
- Keeping these 3 loops on the hook, yarn over, and insert the hook into the next stitch. (4 loops on the hook.)
- Yarn over and pull up a loop.
- Yarn over and pull through all five loops.
What is the difference between half double crochet and double crochet? The double crochet has one more step than a half double crochet and two more steps than a single crochet. Just like in the half double crochet, you’ll start with a yarn over. Then insert the hook into the first stitch. Yarn over and pull up a loop.
What is a half double crochet in UK terms? As I’m sure you can guess by now, the half double crochet (hdc) is half way between a single and double crochet. You start by yarning over but then work the rest of the stitch more like a single crochet.
Why are UK and US crochet terms different? the next step up is the US double crochet called treble crochet in the UK. UK stitch names are always one step up from the US ones. This is because US terms rely on the number of yarn overs when pulling up your first loop, while the UK terms are based on the number of loops on your hook.